Monday, April 26, 2010

Yesterday was Sunday, and here in British Columbia, we've started a new ritual for the end of every week, known as 'Sunday Funday'. This consists of anything that's fun and exciting, such as longboarding, bonfiring, slacklining and so on. Yesterday, we celebrated the Funday by taking a small adventure up to Whistler for some end of the season snowboarding. I now know why Whistler is considered one of the worlds best ski destinations. To late in the season for backcountry, but there was still plenty of fun to be had on the slopes!

A lift ticket for the day at Whistler will cost you a whopping $90, but if you have time and an adventurous spirit (as well as an empty wallet), you can trek up through the forest for the first couple thousand feet (about an hours walk), then simply catch the gondola to the top at the midway point, seeing as they only check for lift tickets at the bottom of the mountain. A full day's ride awaits anyone willing to make the journey, and when you're done, simply ride the 6000 feet all the way to the bottom, right into Whistler Village, and find your car for the ride home. Not bad at all! Especially when you get to the Village and there's a free show waiting for you! Yesterday, we boarded till our bums were numb, then rocked out to the sounds of Arrested Development. Sunday Funday, in full effect!

Got back to Squamish just in time to catch the sunset, and while hastily running back to my camp to get my camera, I stumbled in a very large footprint. A very large footprint that was going in the direction of my camp! Low and behold, the bears are out of hibernation. Good for them, but bad for me! You see, Like an idiot, I forgot to bring my garbage bag into town to dispose of, and seeing as garbage is one of the main food groups for black bears, my camp became prime feeding ground in my absence. Huge mess. I even had to replace some of the walls in of my A-frame that the bear so kindly knocked out of the way. Oh well. You live, you learn. NEVER leave your garbage at camp, or bears will make a complete mess of it all! After about 30 minutes, I had all the rubbish picked up, walls nailed back in and base camp back to what it should be, which is a quiet, tidy forest refuge. Only thing to do now was get myself ready for bed, when I noticed that the bear didn't stop with the garbage...

My tent, the canvas that I've called home for the past 6 months, is no more. It would appear, that by no fault other than my own, an empty tube of toothpaste was left in one of my cubbies, and after eating a full meal of garbage and waste, Mr. Bear felt he should clean his teeth. Lucky for him, I was stupid enough to leave a tube hiding behind a thin sheep of canvas. Needless to say, my tent was ravaged beyond repair (pictures to come soon). Kind of a bummer. I'm now, officially, homeless. Moved all my stuff (short of anything that smells tasty) up into the sweat lodge, where I will now continue to camp until I give in and move into a flat in the valley. If only I had that damn van already! Soon though...

No pictures of Whistler simply because I couldn't be bothered lugging my camera equipment up the mountain, but I'm sure I'll get some soon enough. No pictures of the destruction at basecamp because I was to busy cleaning up the mess and trying to get settled in again before the sun went down. I'll have plenty of shots to share once I have a place to live, but right now, I'm leaving the camera alone for a while till I can get this mess sorted out. I will, however, leave you with this fun little shot we got the other night of Tierry spinning his staff. If you look close, you can see Tierry's eye in there.



Cheers all! Back to camp with a full can of Bear Spray!

No comments:

Post a Comment